Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Tuesday

Decided to only run once a day this week.

Pm - 6k warm up, 3 x 1km on track - 2'48", 2'52", 2'52". Keeping fresh, race Sunday.

(*There was some baby coochie-woo stuff after this in the text Paul sent with his training details, but I've omitted that, as it will also conflict with the bad-ass tone that he is working hard to achieve with his blog*)

*Ewen, your comment on the 5000m pacing gave rise to an interesting discussion with Paul about some of the splits of his best runs. He told me that when he ran 13'49" for 5000m, he went through 3k in 8'12". When he ran 28'30" for 10000 at Zatopek, his previous best for 5k was 14'30". That night, he went through 5k in 14 dead. I asked him what he was thinking then, and he said "Well, I just hung on". I was impressed. 5k is a long time to "hang on". Just thought I'd share that with you. Also, he has an incredible ability to calculate splits and pace on the run, even at top speed (while I have trouble remembering what lap I'm on in a 1500m).*

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mate, why not set yourself the target of beating every Aussie Master record there is (over 1500m that is, looks like you shouldn't bother beneath that). Then in 10 years time I'll put some money on my daughter beating your daughter...

Ewen said...

Tell Paul 8:12 for 13:49 is not much of a fade. In Zatopek, I guess you just go with the pack for as long as possible. No chance in Australia to run a 'set up' 10,000 with pacemakers running 68 per lap at the start before letting you kick down over the last 5k.

It's funny that 68 is quite slow these days eh?